After its wonderful accomplishments in 2016, Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) is wishing taxpayers and other stake-holders a very Happy New Year 2017. The nodal national agency which is committed to taxpayer services has improved customs rankings under “Burden of Customs Procedures” by World Economic Forum from 54 in 2015 to 37 in 2016. The rank in “Logistics Performance Index” by World Bank Group on Trade Logistics has also improved from 65 in 2014 to 38 in 2016.
Here is the glimpse of important facilitation measures taken by Indian Customs in 2016 towards promoting; Easy of Doing Business, ‘Make in India’ Initiative, Digital India –
- Single Window Interface for Facilitating Trade (SWIFT) launched to enable filing of an integrated Declaration on a common platform to meet requirements of Customs, FSSAI, Plant Quarantine, Animal Quarantine, Drug Controller, Wild Life Control Bureau and Textile Committee.
- Number of documents required to export/import reduced to 3.
- Email notification service to importers initiated at important stages in import clearance process.
- Electronic Delivery Order introduced between Shipping lines & Custodians replacing paper copy.
- Print-outs of several documents including GAR 7 Forms/TR 6 Challans, TP copy, Exchange Control Copy of Bill of Entry and Shipping Bill, and Export Promotion copy of Shipping Bill done away with.
- 25 x 7 Customs clearance facility operational at 19 sea ports and 17 Air Cargo complexes.
- Documents being filed by importers, exporters, Customs brokers and manifests by shipping lines and air lines through digital signatures from 01.01.2016.
- Revamped AEO scheme launched.
- Deferred duty payment for select categories of importers.
- Customs Clearance Facilitation Committees (CCFC) functioning at every major Customs seaport/airport/LCS to expedite Customs Clearance.
- Procedure for handling related party transactions revamped – Extra Duty Deposits waived.
- Requirement of Insurance cover to be taken by Customs Cargo Service Providers (CCSP) in respect of goods stored in Customs Areas brought down from 30 days to 10 days.
- Import Data Processing and Management System (IDPMS) jointly launched with RBI for efficient data processing relating to payment of imports.
- Warehousing provisions simplified – System of physical control and locking of public and private warehouses by Customs dispensed with.
- Mobile App on Baggage Rules launched in English and other languages.
Functioning under Directorate General of Taxpayer Services, CBEC wants you to join hands and make 2017 more productive as their slogan reads, “A nation is made, when taxes are paid”.